
Last night I got home from work and was sorta in a hurry to change and load the kids up and head back to Bloomington for VBS. It looked as if it was going to rain and I was wanting to get on the road. I was irritated by Kyler because he was still in the back yard and not in the car and it was raining BIG drops at this time. Well come to find out he was putting his batting helmet over a nest of newly hatched baby robins. He wanted to protect them from the rain since the mommy robin was not sitting on them. So anyway--we head to church and it stormed the whole time we were gone. Coming home took 30 minutes longer than normal. Up by our house the roads were flooded and I had to take different roads and still ran into so much water over the road--I was praying, praying, praying! Very tense times! The kids were very worried also and said prayers along the way and after each huge body of water we drove through they would shout, "THANK YOU JESUS". I was so ready to be home! It was about 10:30 when we finally pulled into our driveway. Since it's a school night I told the kis to run in...brush teeth and get right to bed. I unloaded a few things and then realized the back door hanging open--Kyler and Kaden were outside checking on the bird nest. Kyler came in asking for a flashlight. I asked him what for? I told you to get to bed! Well, mom...the bird nest is empty and it's knocked out of the tree...I need a light to find the babies. You know the spirit spoke to me in that moment...to take a deep breath...it's going to be ok...let him finish his mission. I told him that mother nature had a way of taking care of things...not to worry--they'd be ok if they were meant to live. Soon I realized he as very intent of finding them. Sure enough all the sudden he came running in with one baby resuced. Then soon another and then that 3rd one took almost 30 minutes to find...but find he did! The birds looked half dead and the nest was sorta a muddy soggy mess. I decided I should help to. I went and hooked up my hair dryer and started drying the nest on low heat and warming the birds up. It was so neat to see them start moving around. Kaden told me I was the best mom also! "Mommy, you are so nice and you are sorta like a vet". I'm glad I took the time to make a special memory with the boys even though it was almost 11:30pm! I let them leave this nest of three birds in the garage and this morning Kyler went to check on them and we can report all three birds are ALIVE! He didn't have time to find worms for them before catching the bus but that is Kaden's job as soon as he wakes up.
2 comments:
Glad you got home safely! What a neat experience for everyone saving those birds!
Sara K.
That is so sweet. We used to raise baby crows to be pets. You might try soaking some bread in warm milk to feed them. Then when they got older we fed them raw ground hamburger. Don't know if this will work for your birds, but it did for ours. Good luck and keep us posted.
JoEllen
Post a Comment