Thursday, May 14, 2009

Antique Shopping

Mom's here visiting from Oregon and I put Kaden on the bus today and then headed for Clinton to have lunch with her, my Aunt Barb, Aunt Laura and Grandma Kieser. We were eating in my cousin Amanda's new business she just purchased there in Clinton called Blossoms and Beans. When we were finished mom wanted to check this antique shop out. When we went in I saw this canister set, salt and pepper, napkin holder, toothpick holder, etc. displayed and it triggered a memory. Hey, Mom...didn't you have this set on our kitchen counter when we lived on Hibbard Road?? What was I going to do with an 18 pc set of stuff...I really wanted just one piece for this treasured moment in time that I was reflecting on! As I lingered over it for several minutes...wishing....wanting...no...don't need this...walk away....and I did I walked away from it. We looked around and then I walked past it one last time as we headed for the front of the store...I turned and said to mom...I so wished they just had ONE piece they could sell me and at that moment mom's eye caught two lone canisters setting up on another shelf!!! My mind was made up!!!! I could purchase just one and then sit it in my kitchen. I knew just where I wanted to set it. Right next to my Grandma Kuenzi's cookie jar I have of her's. So I can't believe I purchased an antique that I remembered from my childhood. It's a sign of my age...it's hard to swallow at moments....I purchased a piece of my history in an antique shop!!!

3 comments:

Smileyface said...

That is too cute.....sometimes it doesn't matter our age at all....it's the hidden treasures of our hearts that keep us young and help keep those cherished memories alive forever! Love the orange mushrooms!

Miss you......we need to get together for a girls night out!!

cknapp said...

I remember Grandma's cookie jar from many years back. I didn't know that you had it! What a great piece to have:)

Miller Family said...

My mother had that exact same set! Hard to believe it's an antique already......that means were getting older!