
Thursday night we had a HUGE ice storm. We lost power around 1:50 a.m. The house gets pretty cold when it's about zero and windy with windchill around -28 degrees. So many tress are broken and our yard is a mess! We will have to wait for a much warmer day to clean this up!


No SCHOOL! The kids started Christmas break a day early. They were sad to miss the last last day and the party's but I'm sure they will do them when school starts again in Januray. Kyler was pretty excited--even though we just had the fireplace for heat. We finally got a generator running around 7pm Friday night. Oh, it was nice to be WARM again! Then the power went out again the next morning around 9 a.m. and of course we had already returned the generator. So we had to make another trip and get it back and it was up and running around 7pm Saturday night. The house was VERY cold then. The power was out until about 4pm Sunday night. We were all sad to miss the Christmas program at church on Sunday. But Mike needed to stay home to watch the generator and he didn't like the idea of me traveling in such cold weather with three kids alone. If I went off the road we'd freeze. So being that good wife I am...hee hee...I listened and didn't whine? and we all stayed home. It was hard especially since all three kids had parts in the program and I'm a teacher. We really missed out! But we stayed safe and warm for the day. I had to help Mike a few times bring in more wood and give the generator more gas. Wow--It was so cold! I was so thankful we had a warm place to call home and food to eat even though the winter was so bitter outside. We are truely blessed! All in all--I helped Mike three times unload or load this generator and it weighed around 350 pounds. My back is killing me! I'm not so strong anymore! Whew! The muscles are aching and I don't want to do this again! I think our next major purchase will be a generator!! All our own!! No loading it up into the truck bed--that takes lots of heaving!!! I'm praying our power does not go off again. It's flickered several times and my heart skips a beat. The lines are still coated in heavy ice--and we are suppse to be getting some more yucky weather here tonight I believe. So we will see.

Michaela is into another good book. She loves to read.

To many late nights already--Found him snuggled up on the floor next to the fireplace. This is what Christmas break is suppose to be like though...right?
2 comments:
Marie
I'm sure your back is killing you--we had the same weather you did, only my husband went out and PURCHASED a generator (everyone else was using their's :) and I just had to help him move it a few feet and boy was it heavy! (now we have to figure out where we're going to store the thing!) I found myself really counting my blessings when we didn't have power for ONLY 24 hours---how quick I am to complain so many times... :( Have a great Christmas!
Joy
Brr! I hope your power did not go out again! I'm thankful that our power did not go out during the storms that we had! No where near as cold as central Illinois but definitely cold for us Oregonians! :) Hope you had a great Christmas!
Love,
Sara
Post a Comment